Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Mini Apple Galettes with Honey Walnut Topping


Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays!

I came up with this recipe a few weekends ago and made it for dessert to take to my Mom's house.  We thought it was delicious.  I had just picked up Michigan apples at the market and wanted to find a special way to use them.

Ingredients:
- 3 cups sliced apples {I used Macintosh }
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon sugar {I used turbinado sugar }
- 1/2 pie pastry recipe { my favorite is this one }
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving

1.  Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix apples in medium size bowl with lemon juice, corn starch, Cinnamon, and brown sugar; set aside.  In another bowl, mix walnuts and honey together; set aside.

2.  Roll out pie pastry.  Use a bowl with a 6" diameter to cut six circles.  Place on baking sheet {I use Silpats to line my baking sheets.  Best thing ever! }

3.  Divide apples evenly among pie pastry and place a heaping mound on each circle.  Repeat with walnut/honey mixture.

4.  Fold up the sides of pastry around apples.  Use egg to seal the crimps if necessary.

5.  Brush the pie pastry with egg wash and sprinkle sugar on each.

6.  Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes or until pie crust is golden.  Cool and enjoy!  Best served the day they are made.  Pie crust never tastes the same the second day, does it?

Here they are, fresh out of the oven...






I served with freshly made whipped cream...yum.  Vanilla ice cream would be equally delicious.


What did you cook this week?

Party Rules:
1.  Add a link to the post you are linking up back to this post
OR
2.  Add the Tasty Tuesday button to the post you are linking up.  Thanks!

 

17 comments:

  1. How beautiful! And tasty, too! Thank you for the recipe, and thank you for hosting the party! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful. And they look so yummy! You do such a nice job with Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Galettes are just wonderful. Hope you havea great week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE! Apple galettes are my go to dessert, i'm going to have to try that topping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so great! Perfect to bring to a party :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try this recipe...it looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this dessert looks delicious! Thanks for sharing...and thanks for hosting the linkup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little pies look great! What a neat idea. I've shared a post on what to do with ground cherries, with a recipe for gluten free, miniature ground cherry pie. I've also shared a post on making Turkish coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alissa, these galettes look so delicious!!! I will definitely make them this fall - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alissa, love your Galettes, thanks for hosting. Enjoy the rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing! I'm pinning it. I'll have to make with gluten free pie crust but should still be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. any new ways of using up all the fabulous apples that are out right now are good with me. and in mini?? i may love you ;)

    this week i shared a story of "punkin" doughnuts. yes. more pumpkin. but these little bad boys were by FAR one of the best things i've ever made. and besides, everyone loves a bad boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing these recipes.. Looks so delicious. Great Recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great recipe! I would love to make this and serve it to my family for dessert one night. I wonder if I could substitute the pie pastry for puff pastry?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10