Friday, November 5, 2010

Handmade Holidays. . .Quilted Coasters

.
Between now and Christmas I am hoping to have a little series called "Handmade Holidays".  I'm  planning on posting ideas for simple, handmade gifts and decor.  November and December are always busy so I'm not sure how much I will be able to fit in, but I'm going to try my best!
.
First up are these cute, quilted coasters.  These are really simple - if you are a beginner sewer these are a perfect project to try.
.
The idea for these came form the October 2007 issue of Martha Stewart Living.  And yes, I still have the issue!  MSL is the only one of my magazine subscriptions that I save...the issue are so beautiful and I just can not bring myself to throw them out.  At some point it's going to become a problem but for now - I'm keeping them!
.
.
.
{Click here for the original article and directions from MSL)
.
.
Supplies:
.
- fabric (all the fabric I used was scraps from other projects!)
- batting
- rotary cutter & straightedge or scissors
- thread
- sewing machine
.
1. Pre-wash and iron fabric.
.
2.  Use your rotary cutter to cut fabric.  For each coaster you will need a strip of fabric 4-1/2" wide x 10" long.  If you are using scraps and don't have pieces 10" long, just cut two pieces 4-1/2" x 5"
.
.
.
3. Cut batting to 4" squares.
.
.
4. Fold 4-1/2" x 10" strips in half, right sides together.  Sew up each side using a 1/4" seam allowance.  Leave the top open.
.
 .
5.  Here's how it will look after the two sides are sewn.  Clip the two bottom corners.  It will make the finished corners neater.
.
.
If you are using two pieces instead of the long strip, just sew along three sides.  It will look like this:
.
.
6.  Now, you need to get the batting in.  This is the easiest way I've found.  Lay the batting on top of the fabric, hold batting in place with one hand, and turn right side out with your other hand.  I found this to be much easier than turning the fabric right side out and then trying to squeeze the batting in.
.
.
Use a pencil to push out the corners completely.
.
Now it looks like this:
.
.
And the batting is all nice and snug on the inside:
.
.
7.  Fold the open edges of fabric in so your coaster looks like this:
.
  .
8.  Starting at the open edge, start sewing all along the edges, creating a square.  Make sure to back stitch a few stitches when you get to the end. 
.
.
When you are finished with the first square the coaster will look like this:
.
.
9.  Keep sewing concentric squares until you near the middle.
.
That's it!
.
Here is the finished coaster along with a few others I made:
.
.
.
.
.
.
Tie up four or six of the coasters with ribbon, add a tag, and you have a cute little gift.  Wouldn't these make nice stocking stuffers, hostesses gifts, or teacher gifts?
.
.
Linking to:
The DIY Show Off


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

49 comments:

  1. These look great! I ♥ the fabric you used!
    I made some a couple of weeks ago if you want to check mine out :-)
    http://www.janeofallcrafts.com/2010/10/yakity-yak-dont-talk-back.html
    I used the tutorial over at www.aprettycoollife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great Alissa! I love handmade gifts and I just got a brand new sewing machine, so I'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely! Your tutorial is great and I like your fabric choices. I think these would make wonderful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really pretty Alissa... and they match the potholder from your guest post at Life in Grace the other day:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog thanks for Liz at a Wedding Story. I love this idea, they're perfect for hostess gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so great Alissa, I've seen other people make similar things, but everything you make just always looks better. Your fabric choices are supreme and so are your photos and styling, love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, and great idea Alissa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adorable. You make it seem easy. I wish I could sew & I even have a sewing machine. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty Alissa and I have magazines dating back to 1993..the year I got married! Lots of which are old MSL. I miss her Baby and Kids magazines. Love the colors!! Looking forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so pretty! Love the fabrics you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! What a cool gift complete with a few wine or beer glasses and drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are fantastic! you have such a great talent. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm a new sewer and appreciate all the tips :)
    Visiting from Tatertots & Jello. I'm your newest follower!
    Sarah
    www.thebirdspapaya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial!

    I'm here from Tatertots & Jello, check out my blog:

    http://imakestuff4fun.blogspot.com/2010/11/turkey-girls-with-twirly-skirts.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this over at Tatertots & Jello and love your coasters. You make it look so easy I think I'm going to try some. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! I will be making some of these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so easy. I will have to give them a try. I found you on the weekend blog hop. Check me out if you get a chance http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pot holders are absolutely fantastic! I adore the fabrics you chose! Thanks so much for commenting on my blog today. Have a fantastic weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these! I'll be making some for Christmas this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are lovely, thanks for sharing! I'll be adding to my "someday crafts" file! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there!! I am your newest follower. I found you on the crafty link up! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Have a peek at my giveaways if you stop by. Everything is handmade and gorgeous!

    I LOVE these coasters. Your blog is beautiful!! Glad I stopped by here and am following you now

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the coasters - the fabric is beautiful. What a great idea to use up bits of fabric -I have lots of Amy Butler bits! Going to add this to my tumblr file.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing! What a great stashbuster and what a wonderful gift idea. I'm making my grandmother a basket for Christmas and these would be great to add in.

    ~ The Speckled Dog

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these and I love the fabric you used. I'm so glad I found you again. I thought I had followed you way back but I'm not sure what happened. So I will follow again :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love quilted coasters! They are so fun, but simple to do. You picked out great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am defintely bookmarking this page. Thank you! I am getting my first sewing machine this month. I can't wait to make these. when they are finished I will share the link with you. ;)

    Oh, and btw, I can actually read your name and address on that magazine (all you have to do is click the pic and zoom out). With the internet these days you always need to be careful of the crazies!

    ReplyDelete
  26. www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw your post on Polly Want a Crafter! I love it. I am now a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. fantastic fabric!! i also saw it from polly want a crafter.. love these!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi, alissa!

    i wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hi! and thanks, too, for the encouragement about my placemat!

    hooray! i love these coasters. so cute and a great gift! i look forward to seeing what else you handcraft for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Super cute idea. I like your mix of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  31. very nice i love it! i tried the same idea for pot holders too

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love these - so cute! I know exactly what you mean about throwing away Martha mags! I've had to whittle my collection down to holiday issues and my absolute favorites - don't want to end up buried alive under my magazine obsession ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are so great! Thanks for the idea!

    I saw your great giveaway & I thought I would let you know about mine:

    http://elizabethsdailyadventures.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are so impressive. I wouldn't want to put a cup of coffee on those!
    ha ha
    I love the colour choices and pattern in these.
    About these magazines, I tear out only layouts I like and file them in binders under categories - it's great to get at them when you need to ;) and the stuff you don't want just toss... ;(
    If you're that committed maybe you can file the covers as well???
    Just throwing some ideas here ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a fantastic idea!! love your fabric!! what a great way to use up some scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love it! Great gift idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love it!!!!!!
    I am so going to be doing this project soon! I really like the fabrics you used.
    This is the first coasters' tutorial I've seen that really explained the whole process! it is really thorough!
    Thanks!
    I can't believe I have the supplies!
    I follow you from my cooking blog, www.lifewiththechambs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great gift idea. I'm borrowing this one for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  39. so simple and stylish! i may have to make some as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are great. I may just have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great, simple gift idea! Would love for you to link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://bit.ly/bSsG5b

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks fantastic. The Bavarian Christmas linky party is now open-won’t you come and join us at http://dobermans-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/2010/11/1st-christmas-linky-party-at-dobermans.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very cute. This would be a great way to use up extra charm packs, too. Fun idea! And, I like that they are not breakable.

    Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY! Hope you'll stop by again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I really like these! I've got some coasters featured on my blog today too :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love this project! So simple and cute! Even someone who is not so crafty-like me- could pull this one off! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Stopping by from justagirl to say this is a really nice tut. Great idea and the tut is very well done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. These look great Alissa.

    I'd love it if you could share this over on my Simply Christmas Inspiration Party at http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/2011/11/inspiration-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is such a great DIY hostess gift! I pinned this and posted on my blog.... www.onetwentyonedesigns.com. Thank you for the idea and amazing tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10