Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: The Best Granola in the Whole Wide World



Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays!

I've been too busy moving to do any cooking again this week.  So, I'm posting another one from the archives.  I love this granola recipe!
...............................................
 
I love this granola. It's good - very good. It's delicious with milk, but it's also great on yogurt. And the recipe couldn't be simpler.


Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups of any combination of dried fruit (I used dried cherries & golden raisins)

First, heat oven to 325 degrees. Have two large rimmed baking sheets ready to spread out the mixture.

In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine oil, honey, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stir frequently, until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes.


When the sugar is dissolved, the mixture will look like this:


In a large bowl, combine the oats and almonds.





Add the warm honey mixture to the oats and stir until entire mixture is coated.


Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheets. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring a few times.


Remove from oven and cool completely.

Once cool, place granola in large bowl and add dried fruit.


Granola is finished. . .enjoy!


.Granola will keep in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.

Recipe from my Mom who found it in the Grand Rapids Press a few years ago.

And now, a side note on my favorite vanilla extract.


Several years ago I worked on a few projects out in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. I had to travel there several times over a two year period. I fell in love with a shop called Charles H. Baldwin & Sons. They have been making vanilla since 1888! Their vanilla is so strong and flavorful, and so much different then anything I had bought before. I also have their almond and lemon extracts, both of which are also very good. They have an online shop, so even thought I don't have to travel to the Berkshires anymore, I can still enjoy their amazing vanilla. I highly recommend a visit to their shop if you are ever in West Stockbridge, Mass.
................................................................

Party Rules:
1.  Add a link to the post you are linking up back to this post.
OR
2.  Add the Tasty Tuesday Button to the post you are linking up.  You will find the button and code on my sidebar.  Thanks!


23 comments:

  1. I love homemade granola - this look really good. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This granola looks delicious! I've been wanting to make my own! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Alissa! Thank you for the granola recipe. It's wonderful on a cold morning! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't made homemade granola in ages. Thanks for the inspiration and the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning,
    Your Granola would be a great addition to my yogurt this morning. Have a great week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting. Happy to link up again. Your granola looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting! This week I shared a recipe for mini-cupcakes.

    http://axiomathome.blogspot.com/2011/09/mini-spiced-ginger-cupcakes-with-lemon.html

    I loved the referral to the Baldwin extracts and cannot wait to try their vanilla and the pure coffee too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your granola looks delicious and the photos are beautiful! Thanks for hosting this fun party :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy granola. The only thing I'd change would be to toss the Canola oil (not a big fan for lots of reasons including where it comes from and how its' processed) and use Coconut Oil instead! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for hosting! Your granola looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that granola looks soo good! Thanks for sharing. I'll be pinning this. Hope you're getting all settled in your new place. Thanks for hosting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alissa,
    Thanks for hosting such a GREAT party! Today I am sharing my Witch's Brew Butter Cookies and my Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Candy Bars. Have a nice week! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love granola. I can't wait to try this! thanks for hosting:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This granola looks too good not to make! This is my first visit to your blog. I liked it.....everything was so delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love granola! This recipe sounds yummy and looks really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This granola looks so good! I've been wanting to make my own for a long time now...thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your granola looks SO good Alissa! I love granola...especially on yogurt! Happy Halloween! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. Thanks. This is what all my neighbors are getting for Christmas this year. A bag of homemade granola tied with an ornament. I've been looking for a good tried and true recipe! Yay!
    :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love granola, though I have to portion control myself because I can easily eat it all at once!
    Lexi @ Glitter, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Moving? Do you mean moving houses, blogs, jobs??? Pray tell.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love playing around with and making different types of granola. I eat granola daily with my breakfast. I can't start my day without it!

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alissa, yum!!!!! That syrup that you make first - oh that sounds so good. AND I will look into this vanilla made in my own state! Have you ever made your own vanilla? I did for a few years from an Ina Gartner recipe but lately I have been buying good vanilla at Homegoods. However I am definitely going to order a bottle of this and try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10