Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Salted Caramel


Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays!
First, let me say that it is taking all the will-power I have as I sit here writing this post to not get up and grab one of these cookies.  They are delicious!  It was my Mom's birthday this week, and instead of a cake or pie, she got these.  I think it was a good choice.

{ the recipe comes from the February 2012 issue of Martha Stewart Living }

Ingredients:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature

- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Table salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 44 small soft caramel candies (12 ounces), such as Kraft
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Large, flaky sea salt


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour and 1/2 teaspoon table salt, and beat to combine. Press dough together in plastic wrap, then roll into 1 1/4-inch balls. Dip each ball in beaten egg, and roll in coconut. Place balls on parchment-lined (or use silpat mats, like I do) baking sheets, and press an indentation into each with your thumb. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove sheets from oven, and re-press indentations. Bake cookies until golden, 9 to 10 minutes more. Let cool on wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough.




2.  Place caramels and heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, 4 to 6 minutes. Spoon into indentations in cookies, and sprinkle with sea salt. Rewarm caramel if it hardens before all cookies are filled.









If you are looking for a new cookie to try, I can't recommend these enough.  In fact, I'm off to snack on one right now!

Party Rules:
1.  Include a link in the post you are linking up back to this post
OR
2.  Add the Tasty Tuesday button to the post you are linking up.


23 comments:

  1. Those cookies look awesome, Alissa... I want to dip them in chocolate! Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your mom! Hope your willpower sustains! Your cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alissa,
    I just love the sweet and salty combination, these cookies look delicious! I am sharing my Chipotle Chocolate Molten Cake today. Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look incredible! Thanks for hosting such a great party every week!

    Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look divine! Thanks so much for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alissa, great minds think alike. I linked up my caramel coconut kiss cookies (using Hershey's coconut kisses). Enjoy! THanks for hosting each week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh these are AMAZING. A friend made these a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't stop from shoveling them in my mouth! So glad to be able to pin the recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These would be so awesome with a salted caramel hot chocolate from Starbucks :). My husband would love these...he loves anything caramel. Don't you just love silpat baking mats? I am so in love with mine! THanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful combination..caramel and coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh yum! You know what, though - now I'm wondering how, say, a lemon or lime sauce would work in place of the caramel. Very springy. What do you think - would the cookies hold up to something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH yuuuummmm!!! These look super delish! We both have coconut on the brains! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at salted caramel. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing! Thanks for hosting!
    Bobbilynne
    http://feauxcajun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photographs are always amazing. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. there are so many incredible looking posts this week! Will make my way around after class :)

    This week I've posted my recipe for left over roasted veggies - stick em in an omelet and eat it for breakfast! (or supper because breakfast at dinner time is awesome).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Caramel and Coconut. Two of my favorite things. I bet they would be yummy rolled in sugar, too! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. these look too heavenly- just started linking up- you are too great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alissa, these cookies look wonderful! I love the salted caramel thing. I discovered some on Cape Cod called Be Quiet caramels. Yummy. I want to try this recipe, looks yummy~
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cookies look amazing! I can taste them now! I'm thinking I might make them as part of our Easter desserts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10