Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Sweet Potato Gnocchi

.
Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays!
.
Gnocchi is one of my favorite meals.  If I'm at a restaurant and it's on the menu, there's a real good chance that's what I'm ordering.  I saw this recipe on Pinterest and knew I needed to try it.
.
.
{ Adapted from The Noshery via Bon Appetit }
.
Gnocchi Ingredients:
- 1 pound red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)

- 6 ounces fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (about) all purpose flour
.
Sauce Ingredients (makes 2 cups):
2 cups milk (I used skim)
1/4 onion
2 cloves garlic
3 sage leaves (plus extra for ganrish)
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
.
.
Start a large pot filled with water to a boil.
.
Rinse and scrub sweet potatoes and pat dry.  Pierce holes into potatoes with fork in a few places.  Place sweet potatoes on plate and microwave on high until tender, about 5-6 minutes per side. Cut in half and cool. Scrape out potato into medium size bowl and mash.  Transfer to large bowl. Add ricotta cheese and stir until combined. Add Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon salt, Stir until combined. Mix in flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, until soft dough forms.
.


  .
Turn dough out onto floured surface and divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll between palms and floured work surface.  Form each piece into 18-inch-long rope (about 1 inch in diameter), sprinkling with flour as needed if sticky. Cut each rope into pieces (about 1 inch long). Roll each piece over tines of fork to indent. Transfer to baking sheet lined with wax paper of a Silpat.
.


.
.
.
By now your water should be boiling.  Add a dash of salt to the boiling water.  Working in batches, boil gnocchi until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove gnocchi and transfer to baking sheet. Set aside and start sauce.
.
In a small sauce pot combine milk, onion, garlic, and sage. Place over medium heat and cook until tiny bubbles appear around the edges of the pan, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove and discard onion, garlic, and sage leaves. Cover to keep warm.
.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until blended, 1 minute.  Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup of shredded Gouda cheese. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


.
In a clean saute pan, melt two tablespoons of butter.  Add gnocchi and pan fry until gnocchi is warmed up.
.
Divide gnocchi among four plates and top each with sauce and minced sage leaves (if desired).
.
Dig in and enjoy!
.
.
.
Can't wait to see what you cooked this week!
.
Party Rules:
.
- Add a link in your post back to this post.
.
OR
.
- Add the Tasty Tuesday button to the post that you are linking up.  You will find the button on my sidebar.  Thanks!

I've linked this post up to another great recipe link up party:
This Chick Cooks
.

26 comments:

  1. I just pinned this - it looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alissa, I have never made gnocchi before, but you make it look so easy, and GOOD! Thanks for hosting,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously?! This looks soooo good! You've managed to combine two of my favorite foods (sweet potato and gnocchi) into one amazing dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderful. Our family loves sweet potatoes so I'll be making this soon! Thanks so much for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this recipe is mind blowing - it looks SO tasty! very tempted to try this one out, will most definitely be cooking this up at the weekend! Another brilliant vegetarian recipe, thank you so much for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sweet potato gnocchi looks fabulous! I'll have to try it.

    I've just submitted my recipe for Chocolate-Orange Custard. It's chocolate pudding--totally homemade. Thanks for hosting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We tried our hand at making sweet potato gnocchi two years ago and we LOVED it! We added bella mushrooms to our sauce. Yum-o.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not generally a sweet potato fan, but I HAVE to try this out. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gnocchi look amazing! I made some pumpkin ones last year but it looks like I'll have to try sweet potato this time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummmm gnocchi is one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow! When you come visit, will you make this for me, Alissa? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so delicious! I found some sweet potato gnocchi with a butter and sage sauce at Trader Joe's that I love, but I'm guessing your recipe is way more tasty. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look amazing. I have been a bit scared to try to make these. You inspire . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, now I want this instead of the whole roasted chicken I have in the oven. Darnit. This looks and sounds amazing and I'm pretty excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alissa- Thank you for posting this recipe and step-by-step pictures! I too always order gnocchi when I see it on the menu and I've always wanted to make some myself. You make it look so easy that I'm finally going to give it a try!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had gnocchi, but am going to have to try it after seeing this recipe. Your instructions are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe looks AMAZING!!!!! It's been pinned ... this is my first time here, found you at This Chick Cooks. I'm a new follower! :)
    Jade C. @ Effie's Recipe Box

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so inspired by this recipe yesterday that I stopped at the store for sweet potatoes and went to work making gnocchi - even though I've never made it before - or eaten it!

    I have to say hands down way easier than I anticipated and fabulously delicious! I even got my husband - a non veggie eater - to ask me to add this to our regular rotation. He loved it! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to make it again! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks fantastic! I love gnocchi!! I found your recipe on This Chick Cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds delish, Alissa! I love Gnocchi too and am always looking for new variations - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanted to let you know that I featured this great recipe on my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post - stop by and see!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks SO yummy! I just found your blog through Centsational Girl and I LOVE IT! I love all of the variety of your posts. Your newest follower,
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a novel idea! I only wish you had a printable version....=)
    bjnculver@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10