Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Key Lime Pie

.
Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays!
.
This weekend I made a delicious key lime pie.  I've never made key lime pie before and this one was so good and surprisingly easy.
.
.
I don't know exactly how many key limes I used to get one cup of juice, but it was the entire bag.  Let me tell you, you don't get much juice from one key lime!
.
.
{ Recipe adapted from an Emeril Lagasse recipe.  Find the original recipe here. }
.
Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick butter) melted
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup key lime or regular lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
.
.
1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
.
2.  In a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter with your hands. Press the mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie pan, and bake until brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before filling.
.
3.  Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
.
4.  In a separate bowl, combine the condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and eggs. Whisk until well blended and place the filling in the cooled pie shell. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
.
.
5.  To make whipped cream:  Beat on high in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer using the whisk attachment until the cream is formed.  Top pie with a bit of cream and enjoy!
.
 .
.
This pie was so good - I brought it for dessert to my Mom's house and we both loved it.  I know I will be making it again!
.
What did you cook this week?
.
{ Please remember to add a link in your post back to Tasty Tuesdays or add the Tasty Tuesdays button which can be found on my sidebar.  Thanks! }
.

34 comments:

  1. I bet it was good! It looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pie looks wonderful! How long did it take to get all those limes squeezed?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Key Lime Pie! That's a lot of limes to juice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Key lime pie! I always cheat and buy the juice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your key lime pie looks really good! Yum!
    I'm linking up the Cookies and Cream Cupcakes that I made for my daughter's Wizards of Waverly Place themed party last weekend!
    Thanks for another week of hosting! More power!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a yummy looking dessert! Perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Key lime pie is delicious. I think it's time to make one again. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MAN, key lime is the best. Love that photo of the squished out limes. Just makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! Wow, Alissa. How fabulous! I actually have a key lime tree in our yard. Last year was the first time we got a "harvest." I basically just used them in place of regular limes, and I gave away a bunch of them. I'm totally going to use your recipe to make a key lime pie in the fall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious...I have tried making key lime pie a few times, but am never quite happy with the taste...will definitely try your recipe this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i cannot WAIT to make this! key lime is my favorite! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always....everything you make is so beautiful! I would give anything for a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel the Key West ocean breezes as I read this post. Question - did you use lemon zest or lime zest?

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUMMMMM! Key Lime pie is one of my absolute FAVES!!! :)

    xo! Lauren @ tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alissa I have to confess, I don't really like Key Lime Pie (I know, weird) but I'm DYING over yours because your pictures are sooo gorgeous! Do you secretly work for a magazine? You style and take photos like you do. Love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. holy cow this looks amazing!
    i have been on a pie-baking-kick recently and can't wait to try this one out!
    loving the blog.
    new follower.
    ben-and-alex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. just looking at that pile of limes makes my hand hurt! the pie looks delicious, though! :D

    thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Key Lime is my husbands absolute fav pie...but I too cheat and buy the bottled juice:-) Your pics look amazing and are making me hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmm...key lime pie! Perfect for spring and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUMMMMMM!!! I absolutely ADORE key lime pie!!! This one looks particularly good! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! My favorite cookies use key lime and I've started to cheat and buy the key lime juice in a bottle. Once baked you can't tell a difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh.My.Goodness! I'm not one on key lime pie but looking at your pictures I think I may need to try it again. looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your key lime pie looks scrumptious! Great blog and party, too. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummm! That looks delicious, I may have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks delicious and your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for hosting :)
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your photos are always wonderful and your food always looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Alissa! Your pie looks wonderful! I love key limes and always use them instead of "regular" limes.
    I am sharing my recipe for Chicken Dijon Stew.
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whoops. My link is up there twice (Fiesta Chicken and Rice)

    I can't wait to try out some of these others! they look great :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your pie looks divine, Alissa. You take the bast food photos I've ever seen. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thats one luscious looking pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! You are seriously so impressive. All those limes laying there is amazing. From scratch. And yum! That is one of my all time fav pies!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I couldn't resist buying a whole bag of key limes at the store the other day for only a dollar. I had no idea what to do with them and then I remembered you had posted this recipe. I'm going to make it this week when my parents come to visit. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10