Monday, January 17, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop...Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Pasta

.
Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays!
.
Last week I was completely overwhelmed with all of your kind words and all of the wonderful recipes that were linked up!  I had a lot of fun visiting your blogs - wow, there are some really creative cooks out there!  Everything looked delicious.
.
This weekend I made a pasta called Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Pasta with Goat Cheese.  I found the recipe in the Arizona Republic (12.29.10 issue) when I was out in Arizona after Christmas.  The recipe was featured as part of a story titled 'Five Meals Under 500 Calories'. 
.
.
Ingredients:
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta (angel-hair, spaghetti, or linguine)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups peeled & shredded sweet potato (about 1 medium)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
.
.
1.  Prep ingredients
.
.
2.  Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Cook pasta until tender.
.
3.  Meanwhile, place 1 tablespoon of olive oil and minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant, 2 to 5 minutes. 
.
4.  Add sweet potato, bell pepper, tomatoes, and water and cook, stirring occasionally until the bell pepper is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.  Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
.
.
5.  Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.  Return pasta to the pot.  Add the vegetable mixture, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and goat cheese.  Toss to combine.
.
.
6.  Add the reserved pasta water, 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to achieve desired consistency.
.
7.  Serve and top each serving with additional parsley and goat cheese.
.
{ Makes 4 servings, about 1-3/4 cups each }
.
.
.
I loved this pasta - it was light and healthy and really delicious with a unique combination of flavors. 
.
Now it's your turn - What have you cooked up this week?
.
{ Please remember to add the Tasty Tuesday button or a link to your post }
.

26 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely amazing..and so delish! :)

    www.justcherishtoday.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool I have to try this! Love sweet potato in dishes and you don't see many pasta dishes! Thanks for hosting the bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet potatoes and red peppers -- this dish looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl! The code under the Tasty Tuesdays button isn't working for me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos for your recipe are beautiful! So much nice color!
    I'm sharing my recipe for Meyer Lemon Cookies this week. The recipe is gluten free, but they can be made with "regular" flour if you don't have an issue with gluten.
    I am going to be starting a giveaway this week on my blog for a 7 pound box of Organic Meyer Lemons which are grown on a small farm on the Central Coast of California.
    I am just about to start researching for a bunch of recipes that use Meyer Lemons. I will include links to those recipes in my giveaway blog post.
    Thanks for hosting and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pasta looks delicious, you take such beautiful photos. Thanks for hosting!

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...it sounds great and it's so pretty. Can't be that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazingly colorful and flavorful. I think I'd definitely take some time to just admire it before eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pasta looks absolutely divine!!! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet potatoes and pasta are two of my favorites, but I never thought they could be served in the same meal. Definitely adding this to my must-try list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have absolutely got to try this recipe soon. This looks amazing! Your photos are fantastic. Thanks so much for hosting. I've linked up for the first time and look forward to getting more wonderful recipes to try. Have a wonderful Tuesday, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your photography! ;) So beautiful!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Best of luck!

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks delish! must give it a try...perhaps this eve:)i'm craving pasta!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks sooo good! I can't wait until spring so I can start my garden and get fresh herbs and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another amazing looking pasta dish, Alissa. How do you always manage to get vegetables and garlic that look like a million bucks? Anything I bring home from the grocery store looks like it fell off the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks SO good! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUM!! This looks so good....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found your blog and I love it! This recipe sounds so good and I cannot wait to make that roman shade. Perfect for my back door!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Alissa, happy tuesday! I really love the way you grated the sweet potato so it wouldnt get too mushy! Very cool! I am linking up a recipe for healthy scratch whole wheat buttermilk biscuits! all the best, Alex

    ReplyDelete
  20. This recipe looks very tasty! I never would have thought to combine sweet potatoes with pasta, but the result looks wonderful! I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for hosting, too!

    Under the Big Oak Tree

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm definitely trying this pasta! What a beautiful, healthy looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks delish. I must try to work in some new kinds of pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great looking pasta dish...YUMM! Thanks for hosting Tasty Tuesdays!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sounds so good! I'll be adding it to my meal plan this week, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10