Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hello December!

.
December 1st?  How did that happen?  I honestly think that 2010 has gone faster than any other year for me.  Time is flying.
.
I can't believe that Thanksgiving has come and gone.  I had such a nice relaxing Thanksgiving break.  Baby Sister was home from Chicago for five nights.  It was so nice to have her at home with me!  We had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner at our Mom's house. 
.
Here's the table:
.
.
The dinner plates are my Mom's part of my Grandma's china.  My Mom has two sisters and the china set was divided up among the three of them.  I knew that I would never have much of my Grandma's actual china, so a few years ago I started looking for the pattern on Ebay.  I have quite a few pieces including the salad plates, sugar & creamer, gravy boat, and salt and pepper shakers.  It doesn't even matter to me that they weren't my Grandma's - when I look at them, it reminds me of her!
.
.
.
We have quite a few bloggers to thank for our delicious meal.
.
First, Sarah at Clover Lane.  She posted this super easy appetizer recipe a few weeks ago.  It was SOOOO good.  We all devoured it.  Serve with slices of crusty fresh bread.  Oh - one addition I made - I added flat leaf parsley.  I was at the market before Thanksgiving and thought that the recipe called for it so I bought a bunch. When I realized that it actually called for green onions, I just decided to add both.  We all thought the parsley tasted good. 
.
.
No finished picture, but we also made The Pioneer Woman's Green Bean Casserole.  It was good and we even liked it better the next day!
.
.
And, of course, Smitten Kitchen's Apple Pie with her Pie Crust.  I've said it before, but her pie crust recipe, and directions are my favorite.  Again, sorry, no finished picture - just one right before it went in the oven.  I guess I was too busy eating!
.
.
I won something last week - A Martha Stewart Turkey Platter!  I entered a giveaway on Kevin Sharkey's blog and was one of the five winners.  Just when I thought I couldn't love Martha any more, she up and sends me a platter!  OK, so she probably had no idea this contest was even going on, but I'm still pretty happy about it!
.
 .
They sent the platter so that I would have it in time for Thanksgiving, and included a letterpress note card (with Martha's name on the back!) with a handwritten note thanking me for reading the blog. 
.
.
The big event of the weekend was going to get the Christmas trees!  This same scenario plays out every year - My Mom finds her tree in about ten minutes.  I wander around for another 30 minutes or so looking, and looking and finally settle on a tree although I am never quite sure about it.  Then, I get it home, set it up, and declare that it is my most favorite tree ever.  And guess what?  This year's tree definitely is my most favorite ever!  It really is!
.
{me with Baby Sister}
.
Cutting down the tree...
.
.
.
And here's a sneak peak of my decorated tree:
.
.
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Happy December!
.


18 comments:

  1. There's so much yummy looking stuff and pretty things in this blog post! Your Grandma's china is beautiful. I have some of my Grandmother's dishes and I am flooded with memories every time I use them. Love the platter you won! It's so funny you mentioned the letterpress card because I just finished writing a paper and making a poster on the history of letterpress for my graphic design class. I would have everything printed by letterpress if I could. :) And your tree is beautiful!

    Whew... that was a long comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tree!! All the green is stunning and you really picked out a great tree, how fun to do that with your sister!! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Grandmother's china is gorgeous. I'm glad that you were able to find few pieces to remember her with. I LOVE that you and your family get together to pick out a tree every year. Your tree is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a lovely time! And, that china is just so beautiful.

    Happy Thursday, Alissa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful china. I love that you are collecting it still!
    The table looks perfect and the food...yummy!
    Glad that you and your Sis could enjoy so much time together!
    Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a cute table!!! you have such a knack for decorating! that tree is gorgeous! I have never cut down my own...that would be so much fun but I don't think we have places like that around here! I am going to 'buy' mine this wknd and I hope I can decorate it cute like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on winning something from MARTHA!! I am jealous. I think I am going to make that appetizer sometime this holiday. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love your Christmas tree. The green ornaments are to die for. I haven't bought new ornaments in years. I will just have to pop by every once in awhile to gaze at yours I guess.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful table & decorations. Your tree is gorgeous. I'm most definitely envious of your decorating skills! I will need to save this post in my favorites for next fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That apple pie looks PERFECT! Look at you - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That tree is so pretty, you did a great job. Your table looks lovely too. I understand you buying your own replica of what Grandma had, I too have looked for my grandmothers pattern.. one day I will be able to afford some of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty tree. Hoping we get ours tomorrow. Love your table setting and the china is so pretty. I love having bits and pieces of things that remind me of my grandma. Love how your dinner involved various blogs! AND to win from Queen Martha - lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely post Alissa. I especially liked the china sure I have seen it somewhere in reality and the beautifully decorated tree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. everything looks so gorgeous AND delicious.
    and martha stewart always pulls through!
    that is an amazing platter :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you like the appetizer...and I'll have to try the parsley!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tree is stunning! I would love to be able to have a real tree like that. Maybe one day!

    Congratulations on your win too-that is a fabulous platter!

    Best wishes for a wonderful week,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alissa, your tree is gorgeous! And your Thanksgiving looked wonderful, I think I'm going to have to try that appetizer. I love that you love your china because it was the same pattern that your Grandma had, I have some of my Grandma's china and love it as well. I probably need to pull it out more often.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI! Just wanted to let you know I'm sharing this BEAUTIFUL table in a round-up on my blog. Hope you will stop by and check it out!
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/11/thanksgiving-week-new-table-runner.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - each & every one makes me happy.

I respond to your questions via email. If you leave a question in a comment, please make sure to leave your email address in your comment or that it is linked to your account. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!

 

© 2009-2014 33 Shades of Green. All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Brittany Douglas

09 10